Losing a job can be incredibly stressful. The emotional and financial pressure you face is not conducive to making careful long-term legal decisions. Yet this is when many dismissed employees are presented with severance agreements where payment is offered in exchange for a waiver of your legal rights. Conover Law Offices will evaluate potential claims against your employer so that you can have the knowledge you need to make an informed decision.
To determine whether a severance payment compensates you fairly, you need to understand the likelihood of a successful lawsuit against your employer. Our New York attorneys can quickly evaluate potential legal actions and what you might be able to recover by alleging:
- Discrimination based on age, sex, religion or membership in another group protected under federal or state law
- Violation of an employment contract
- Unpaid wages or overtime
- Refusal of an employer to provide a reasonable accommodation
- Consideration you will receive for executing a non-compete agreement
- Unlawful retaliation for reporting employer misconduct
Our knowledge of state law and compensation obtained by plaintiffs in similar situations is crucial to an informed decision as to whether the severance payment is adequate.
A severance agreement can be challenged even if you've already signed it and received the payments, especially if you are owed unpaid wages. Many courts recognize that dismissed workers are often desperate for payments and might have signed away their legal rights under duress. If you believe you were unfairly coerced, we can advise you as to whether you can reopen the matter.